The College of Public Health
Eleni L. Tolma, Ph.D.
||(405) 271-2017, ext 46757
||The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
801 Northeast 13th Street, Room 473
Post Office Box 26901
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73126-0901
Dr. Tolma's research interests include Program Evaluation, Community Development, Community Based Participatory Research, Breast Cancer Prevention, Women's Health, International Health, Adolescence Health, and Teen Pregnancy Prevention.
- Principal Investigator, Promoting regular screening mammography in an American Indian community in Oklahoma. Funded by Susan G. Komen®, 2011-2015
- Co-Investigator, Oklahoma Shared Clinical Translational Resources (OSCTR): Clinical research education, mentoring, and career development Key Component Activity. Funded by National Institutes of Health, 2013-2017
- Program Planning for Health Promotion
- Community Assessment, Organization, and Interventions
- Focus Group Research
- Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Ph.D., Health Promotion, Education and Behavior, University of South Carolina, 2000
- M.P.H., Health Promotion, Education and Behavior, University of South Carolina, 1993
- B.S., Pharmacy, Duquesne University, 1990
- Cheney, M.K., Oman R.F., Vesely, S.K,, Aspy, C.B. Tolma, E.L. John, R. (2015). The Prospective association between negative life events and initiation of sexual intercourse: The influence of family structure and family income. American Journal of Public Health, Jan 20, pp. e1-e7.
- Oman R.F., Vesely, S.K, Aspy, C.B, Tolma, E.L. (2014). Prospective associations among assets and successful transition to adulthood. American Journal of Public Health. 105 (1), e51-e56.
- Tolma, E.L., Stoner, J., JI,L., Kim, Y.,& Engelman, K. ( 2014). Predictors of regular mammography use among American Indian women in Oklahoma: a cross-sectional study. BMC Women’s Health. 14:101 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6874/14/101.
- Tolma, E.L., Stoner, J., McCumber M., Montella, K., Douglas T., & Digney, S.A. (2014). Longitudinal evaluation of a teenage pregnancy case management program in Oklahoma. Journal of Family Social Work. 17:5, 457-479, DOI:10.1080/10522158.2014.940634.
- Beasley O.L, Silovsky, J.F., Burris, L., Hecht, D., Owora, A., DeMoraes-Huffine P., Cruz, I., Tolma, E.L (2014). Mixed-Methods Feasibility Study on the Cultural Adaptation of a Child Abuse Prevention Model. Child Abuse and Neglect. 38(9), 1496-1507.
- Cheney, MK, Oman RF, Vesely, SK, Aspy, CB, Tolma EL. (2014). Prospective Associations between Negative Life Events and Youth Tobacco Use. American Journal of Health Behavior, 38(6): 942-950.
- Aspy C.B., Tolma, E.L, Vesely, S.K, Oman R.F (2014). The influence of Assets and Environmental factors on gender differences in adolescent drug use. Journal of Adolescence, 37(6), 827-837.